Surrey Police are issuing a Crime prevention reminder to car owners, following the theft of at least 6 catalytic converters in surrey.
The devices were stolen from the vehicles early last monday morning.
Thieves are attracted by the value of palladium and rhodium, the metals used in catalytic converters.
Here are some tips to prevent catalytic converter theft:
- Park in as well-lit areas where possible.
- Park close to building entrances or the nearest road in public car parks. This leaves your vehicle in a location where many people can see it.
- If you have a garage use it and keep it locked.
- Consider CCTV if your vehicle is parked on your driveway or a RING-type device.
- Adjust the security system on your car or have one installed that will activate upon vibration, such as those produced by a saw.
- Install a catalytic converter-specific security device, such as ‘ARMACAT’ or ‘CATLOC’.
- Consider ID Etching – Etching a catalytic converter with a serial number will help police track a stolen converter.
- Consider welded bolts – If a catalytic converter is a ‘bolt on’ it is possible to have the bolts welded shut.
Anybody with information is urged to Surrey Police on 101.