All posts by news

Dishwasher fire in Crawley prompts safety warning

A dishwasher fire in Crawley has prompted a warning from the fire service not to leave electrical appliances running when nobody is in the house.

Crews were called to Hazelwick Road just before 10.30 Tuesday morning after the sound of a smoke detector alerted a neighbour.

The blaze was quickly under control however the kitchen was badly damaged by fire.  The remainder of the house suffered smoke damage.

The owner had left the premises whilst the dishwasher was still in operation.

West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service offers the following simple advice:

. Don’t leave washing machines, dishwashers or tumble dryers on overnight or while you are out

. Regularly check for worn or frayed wires

. Keep appliances in clean and good working order

. Ensure you have a smoke detector on each level of your home

. Register your electrical appliances at www.registermyappliance.org.uk

Tandridge residents invited to have their say

Residents in Tandridge are being invited to have their say on council services.

Over 1,800 households have been randomly selected to take part in a survey.

The District Council is hoping the questionnaire will give vital feedback on services provided; communication; suggested improvements and general feelings about the area participants reside in.

A copy of the survey is available on the Tandridge District Council website.

Half of all accidental fires are started by cooking

West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service are reminding people that 50% of all accidental fires are started by cooking.

It follows a kitchen fire in Horsham.

Firefighters using breathing apparatus and a hose reel dealt with the incident in a first floor flat in Marlborough Close.

The fire on an electric hob was believed to have been accidental.

WSFRS offer the following advice:

  • don’t let yourself be distracted while cooking
  • take pans off the heat if you get called away from the cooker by, for example, the phone or someone at the door
  • don’t cook if you’re affected by alcohol or prescription drugs
  • turn saucepans so that their handles don’t stick out and aren’t over another ring
  • don’t put oven gloves or tea-towels down on to the hot cooker after you’ve used them
  • clean your grill pan after using it
  • take extra care when deep-fat frying or cooking with oil. Use a thermostat controlled deep-fat fryer which will make sure the fat doesn’t get too hot.

Further guidelines can be viewed on their website.

Burglar floods victim’s house in East Grinstead

Renewed appeals are being made for information after a property was flooded during a burglary in East Grinstead.

The incident occurred the afternoon of 10th March at a house in Campbell Crescent.

Jewellery boxes including gold and diamond rings and gold chains were taken.

The 84 year-old victim returned home to find the kitchen sink had been blocked and the taps turned on.

Officers have released a CCTV image of a man they would like to speak with.  It can be viewed on the Sussex Police website.