Category Archives: SUSY News

Email the SUSY News Desk at [email protected]

Football Update

Sutton United remain in third place in the League 2 table.  Despite being down to 10 men after the 74th minute, Sutton held Northampton to a goalless draw at Gander Green Lane on Saturday.  Crawley Town slip to 14th place after losing 1-0 at home to Tranmere Rovers.

Elsewhere Merstham won their Isthmian Premier Division match 1-0 away to Bowers and Pitsea.  Horsham won 2-1 away to Cheshunt.

Deadline Approaches To Contribute to Surrey Hills AONB Review

Surrey residents have been reminded that the deadline is fast approaching to submit evidence for the formal boundary review for the Surrey Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. 

The review is led by Natural England and will decide whether areas next to the existing boundary should also be designated.  The area in question covers the North Downs and Greensand Ridge landscapes on the doorstep of towns such as Dorking, Reigate and Oxted. 

People living in and around the Surrey Hills can gather evidence such as photos and locations and share them through the Survey123 App or using the form on the Surrey Hills website.  The evidence should be submitted by the 31st January deadline. 

The boundary of the Surrey Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty has not been reviewed since its original designation in 1958.

Treated Vegetable Oil Fuel To Keep Surrey’s Gritters Moving

Photo credit: Surrey County Council

Surrey’s 39 gritters will trial running on treated vegetable oil  fuel from this week.

The vehicles will run environmentally friendly Hydrotreated Vegetable Oil (HVO) fuel as part of Surrey County Council’s efforts to reduce carbon emissions. 

The HVO fuel reduces the carbon produced from combustion engines by up to 90%. Over the course of the winter season, Surrey’s gritters will use around 30,000 litres of fuel and by switching to treated vegetable oil rather than diesel, the carbon produced from gritting activities will be reduced by around 102 tonnes.

Reigate MP backs PM

Crispin Blunt MP
Reigate MP, Crispin Blunt, says Boris Johnson has his full support in the wake of accusations of parties at Downing Street during lockdown.
He says the Prime Minister has, ‘made an apology and showed a tone of contrition and seriousness that deserves consideration.’

You can read his full statement below:

At the most recent Prime Minister’s Questions, the Prime Minister made an apology and showed a tone of contrition and seriousness that deserves consideration. Plainly, he (and I and all my Parliamentary colleagues) understand the widespread public anger at apparent double standards. The sacrifices made by the whole nation in combatting this virus command their own respect and the anger communicated to me and my colleagues by many of our constituents reinforces this.

I have noticed, reinforced by personal conversations I’ve had with the Prime Minister over the last year, a seriousness of purpose that has yet to communicate itself to the public, it being drowned out by the focus on an image that reflects decades of an approach to politics that gave this remarkable politician the skillset to enable our country and my party to escape the seemingly impossible trap set by the result of the 2017 election following the 2016 Referendum.

His leadership continues to command my support. The substance of work for this Parliament, particularly around the Levelling Up agenda, defining values of Global Britain and the need to make the right economic judgements in a time of emergency unprecedented in my time of political and public service, still provide the opportunity for Conservatives to have been very proud to have been part of it. That opportunity was created by Boris Johnson. Further to this, his strategic judgements during the last two years on the response to the pandemic now look to be broadly correct.

The pain and burden the British people have endured and his near death from covid-19 appear to me to have produced a capacity for humility and seriousness in our Prime Minister, that combined with his other remarkable strengths and inevitably some balancing weaknesses leads me to a balanced judgement strongly in his support.

I do understand and respect that many people will disagree with this judgement today, but I offer it in all sincerity with the benefit of a quarter of a century of political and personal experience to draw on.

If you have news for Sussex and Surrey, contact us on [email protected]

Drug dealers targeting Surrey jailed

Months of enquiries which identified two county line drug dealers who were targeting Surrey on a regular basis led to them being put behind bars on Friday (14 January).

Abubaker Basharo, 22, of no fixed address, and Lucas Carvalho Da Silva, 23, of no fixed address, were sentenced to a combined total of eight years and six months in prison when they appeared at Guildford Crown Court.

A lengthy investigation by officers resulted in both men as being involved with dealing cocaine and heroin to vulnerable drug users across the county and in London. Officers built a substantial enough picture of their criminal activities to be able to proactively stop them on Monday, April 19 last year in Guildford.

When officers stopped the car, Basharo, who was driving, and Da Silva attempted to get away by driving into the police car and causing a small amount of damage. When officers approached the car, they noticed a strong smell of cannabis and both were detained and searched. This resulted in the discovery of three mobile phones, wraps containing a white substance, as well as almost £400 in cash.

The men were arrested on suspicion of possession with intent to supply Class A drugs. While in custody, Carvalho was found to be hiding multiple wraps within his clothing. These were quickly analysed and confirmed to be 30 wraps of heroin and 64 wraps of cocaine. As well as this, tests revealed that Basharo was under the influence of cannabis so was further arrested for driving whilst over the prescribed drug limit.

The seized mobile phones were analysed by a specialist drugs witness who confirmed multiple messages which were consistent with drug dealing.

Both men were subsequently charged with two counts each of possession with intent to supply a controlled drug of Class A and later pleaded guilty to both. Basharo received 56 months imprisonment, while Carvalho Da Silva was sentenced to 48 months in prison.

PC Andrew Tindale, who investigated this case, said: “Basharo and Carvalho De Silva firmly believed that they were above the law and thought that they could continue supplying heroin and cocaine to vulnerable users in Surrey without fear of consequence.

“Drug dealing is a blight on our local communities in Surrey and tackling it and ensuring those responsible are brought to justice remains one of our top priorities. Because a lot of the work we do is covert, it can often seem like nothing is being done. However, this case demonstrates that behind the scenes, we are building a picture of crimes being committed in order to identify those responsible.”

If you have news for Sussex and Surrey, contact us on [email protected]