Lucky escape for family after tumble dryer catches fire in East Grinstead

A family had a lucky escape in East Grinstead after a tumble dryer caught fire in the early hours of the morning.

West Sussex Fire & Rescue Service were called to a semi-detached house on Lingfield Road just after 1.30 Friday morning.  The tumble dryer had been left running overnight and caught fire.

The family, which included three generations, managed to escape unharmed after their fire alarms sounded.

Fire crews are urging people to be aware of the risks of leaving electrical appliances running unattended overnight.

West Sussex Fire & Rescue Service Safety Advice:

. Always read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions for your appliance

. Regularly clean the fluff or lint filter

. Don’t run your appliance overnight or while you are out

. Keep your tumble dryer in a well-ventilated area and ensure the vent pipe is not blocked or crushed

. Don’t overload your appliance

. Have your appliance serviced by a qualified engineer

Further fire safety advice is available at