Recycling And Waste Truck Fire Caused By Helium Canister

A recycling truck fire last week was caused by a helium canister.  The fire service was called to the incident. 

Tandridge District Council has asked residents not to put gas canisters and helium tanks in rubbish bins as they can explode and cause a fire inside the vehicle. 

To dispose of the container, the Council asks that it is completely empty and the shop or supplier it was purchased from is contacted to take it back.  Otherwise they should be stored at home until the Community Recycling Centres in Warlingham and Caterham have reopened.